If you are a motorcycle lover then you will agree that there are things more thrilling than merely thundering down a windy mountain pass with sharp wind in your face. The power and beauty of a motorcycle with your complete control is the best you can get. Most motorcyclists have such a strong bond with their bike. They even want to be the one who takes care of it when it comes time to do routine maintenance as well. Having your own motorcycle jack will enable you to do routine maintenance and repairs much easier. You must stop balancing your motorcycle dangerously on a regular floor jack. Let us help you to elect and buy a motorcycle jack that satisfy your needs.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Motorcycle Jack
- LIFTING CAPACITY – Even though motorcycles do not weigh as passenger vehicles, it is still important that you select a motorcycle jack that has adequate lifting capacity that matches to the weight of your motorcycle. Unlike a traditional floor jack that lifts only a portion of the weight of a passenger vehicle, a motorcycle jack supports the full weight of the motorcycle. Al ways remember same as the jacks used to lift passenger vehicles, the functional capacity of a motorcycle jack is also less than its maximum rated capacity.
- CARRIAGE WIDTH – The carriage width is the distance between the two outside edges of the motorcycle jack supporting platform. The larger the width, the motorcycle will have more stability while on the jack. Larger carriage width also allows you to lift other things than motorcycle, such as ATVs, jet skis, and snow mobiles.
- LIFTING RANGE – Every motorcycle jack has a minimum and maximum lifting height. Consider purchasing a floor jack with a high lifting range, if your lifting points are high due to large tires or you need to lift you vehicle a considerable distance off the ground. One of the most important things to consider is whether the jack can reach the underside of your bike and have enough additional lifting distance to raise your motorcycle off the ground. Some of the higher end motorcycle jacks are with adapter plates that enable more lifting height of the jack.
- FRAME RIGIDITY – This is something that many people do not think about when selecting motorcycle jacks. However, when lifting a heavy bike, if a frame is lacking rigidity it can cause excessive bouncing. It also can cause the frame to bow in the middle, making it bottom out and being rolled over. Rigidity is mostly determined by the design and cannot be determined visually. Even though larger footprint jacks tend to be less rigid, they are more stable from tipping over. Smaller footprint jacks are quite opposite.
- BASE FRAME FOOTPRINT – Motorcycle lovers prefer to keep their bike lifted on a motorcycle jack and do the polishing and cleaning while sitting on a rolling stool. The footprint of the motorcycle jack base frame needs to be large enough to provide stability from tipping. But it should not so large that in a way to interfere walking or wheeling a stool. The size of the base frame also determines how close you can take your bike to the wall in the lifted position.
- CONSTRUCTION MATERIAL – Motorcycle jacks are generally made out of aluminium, steel, or a combination of both. If you are going to primarily use your jack in and around the garage, a jack made with steel would fine and if you need to take it away from the garage, the aluminium one would be the best. The steel-aluminium combined one could be used either way.
- LOCKING POSITIONS – This is where the motorcycle jack can be released from hydraulic pressure and keeps the bike in the lifted position. This facility acts as a safety mechanism for short term lifts. It supports as a means to store a motorcycle for extended periods as well without causing damages to the hydraulic cylinder from keeping a constant load a long period of time. Almost all motorcycle jacks come with this feature. However,t the number of locking heights varies from jack to jack.
By considering the above parameters we already have some choices of ours. You can read some reviews here or choose directly from our list to purchase.